On this page
Wood chisels can be used for a variety of woodworking tasks, such as shaping wood, cutting joints, making mortises, and removing material. Chisels are available in a variety of sizes and shapes, each designed for a specific purpose.
Wood Chisel Safety
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from flying chips.
- Use a sharp chisel. A dull chisel is more likely to slip and cause an injury. How to sharpen a chisel
- Always cut away from your body.
- Keep your hands behind the chisel blade.
Basic Chisel Usage
- Secure the wood in a vise or workbench.
- Hold the chisel with the bevel facing down.
- Position the chisel at the desired angle and apply pressure.
- If using a mallet, strike the handle with a firm, controlled motion.
- Remove small amounts of wood at a time.
(Last Modified: )